Organic Rooibos Tea
Organically Grown in Africa, our Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis) Tea is also known as 'Red Bush Tea'. Known to help alleviate bronchitis, allergies, and asthma - Rooibos is best known as a 'respiratory herb', containing polyphenols which have been proven to be anti-inflammatory (good for acne), anti-viral, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-mutagenic.
So pretty much 'anti-everything bad'!
Since almost all Rooibos is grown in South Africa, we've located the best organic fields there and supply them through Tea Life.
A classic and simple caffeine free tea that provides a distinct satisfaction and taste that other teas do not.
Health Benefits of Rooibos Tea
There are significant health benefits with Rooibos tea. The tea is calorie-free and increases fat metabolism, blocks the formation of fat cells, and could be a weight management advantage because it increases leptin levels. We sell 80-, 160- and 320-gram packages.
Rooibos is also recognised as a “respiratory herb” which may relieve asthma, allergies, and bronchitis. It has low tannin and oxalic acid levels and contains no caffeine.
- Rooibos contains polyphenols, which are anti-viral, anti-mutagenic, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-inflammatory. This herb has been used for thousands of years and presents with mild honey and vanilla flavours, making it a sweet-tasting, pleasant curative.
- Consider using rooibos tea to alleviate acne, eczema, skin allergies, an upset stomach, colic, high blood pressure, anxiety, certain heart conditions, and type 2 diabetes.
- It boosts your immune system as it is high in antioxidants, which fight the free radicals that weaken your body’s natural resistance. South Africans often drink a comforting cup of Rooibos before bedtime and give it to their infants as an alternative to fruit juice.
Although it has been in medicinal use since early human history, rooibos tea only recently became as popular as your usual favourites, chamomile, English breakfast, and green tea.
To learn more about the health benefits of Rooibos Tea, click here.
Our top 5 benefits of Rooibos Tea are in this article here as well.
History & origin of Rooibos Tea
The earliest records of the herb being used as a tea by Khoi-descended and European people indicate that the practise started in the Western Cape’s Cederberg region in the late 19th Century.
- The local inhabitants climbed up the mountains and cut the thin, needle-like leaves off the rooibos plants. They rolled bunches of leaves into hessian bags before hauling them down the slopes on donkeys and processed the tea by pounding the leaves on a flat rock, using a heavy wooden club or pole.
- Colonials started drinking Chinese and Ceylon tea when the tea trade expanded globally, and rooibos tea became a home-grown substitute for the more expensive Asian products. The first plants were cultivated in the 1930s, from seeds that were initially hard to find and grow.
Commercial rooibos farming started in South Africa once it was discovered that the seeds could be propagated via scoring the pods, and Rooibos tea became the national brew, later turning into a globalised trade article.
Brewing & care
- Place 1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon of organic Rooibos tea in a tea infuser and place in a mug.
- Boil 8 ounces (1 cup) of water and pour over infuser in glass.
- Steep at least 5 minutes but up to 15 minutes to desired flavor and aroma.
In addition to this, prepare herbal Rooibos tea as you would black tea. Drink it with a slice of lemon or a smidgeon of milk and sweeten it with honey or sugar. Serve it as iced tea, cappuccino, espresso, or latte, and explore its rich, dark flavour and reduced “dusty” aftertaste. You will love it.
None known at this time.
Why buy online with Tea Life? What sets it apart?
We're not just another tea brand. Our goal is simple.
We focus on Australian produce and organic tea wherever possible.
- Quality: Australian standards impose strict quality control on packing and Hygeine.
- Freshness: We only pack our tea upon your order. Until that time, it's kept within the bulk of the loose leaf tea. This dramatically increases freshness and taste.
- Health: The full remedial powers, taste and aroma of our tea are unlocked due to our organic and fresh produce.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.