Dive into 2024 with the stunning taste of Australia's top teas! This article will explore the top teas to stock your caddy with for a flavourful new year.
From fusion teas to herbal teas with exotic blends to tempt your taste buds, we've got something for everyone in our New Year countdown!
Say Hello to Hibiscus Tea
Starting off our list with an old favourite, Hibiscus tea is a tasty classic that everyone should add to their collection ASAP!
With its delicate pinkish-red hue and delicious taste, Hibiscus tea is a fantastic treat no matter your mood. Enjoy it hot or cold for a refreshing mug of summertime sweetness!
The Benefits of Hibiscus Tea
Not just a tasty herbal tea, Hibiscus tea has a few powerful benefits that are sure to keep this blend in your regular rotation!
Let’s take a look:
- Blood Pressure Regulation: Hibiscus tea has been linked to lowering blood pressure due to its natural properties that may help dilate blood vessels and improve blood circulation.
- Cholesterol Management: Studies suggest that regular consumption of hibiscus tea might contribute to reducing LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels while increasing HDL ("good") cholesterol.
- Immune System Support: Rich in antioxidants like vitamin C and various minerals, hibiscus tea can potentially strengthen the immune system, helping the body fight off infections and illnesses.
- Digestive Aid: It is believed that hibiscus tea may assist in digestion and alleviate digestive issues due to its mild laxative properties.
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: The tea contains compounds that possess anti-inflammatory properties, which might help in reducing inflammation in the body.
- Metabolism Boost: Hibiscus tea is thought to speed up metabolism, which could aid in gradual and safe weight loss when combined with a healthy lifestyle and diet.
So, if you want a great-tasting tea packed full of benefits, stock up on Hibiscus tea now!
Rather Good Rooibos Tea
Another well-loved classic tea to keep in your caddy is Rooibos! This herbal tea has long been used as a holistic remedy for a whole host of health conditions and ailments.
You can enjoy this wonderful organic tea hot or cold throughout the year, but we especially love an iced cup of Rooibos for summer!
Why Choose Rooibos?
Not just a great-tasting organic tea, our Rooibos tea is packed with great benefits to help you stay healthy all summer! Let’s take a look at why Rooibos should be in your summer tea caddy this new year!
- Respiratory Health: Rooibos tea is reputed for its potential to alleviate respiratory conditions such as bronchitis, allergies, and asthma. It contains compounds that may assist in soothing respiratory discomfort.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Rich in polyphenols, rooibos tea exhibits anti-inflammatory properties, which can be beneficial for conditions like acne, reducing redness and inflammation in the skin.
- Antiviral Effects: Some studies suggest that rooibos tea contains compounds that possess antiviral properties, potentially aiding the body in fighting off viral infections.
- Anti-Carcinogenic Potential: Certain antioxidants found in rooibos tea have been linked to anti-carcinogenic properties, which may help prevent or inhibit the growth of cancer cells. However, more research is needed in this area.
- Anti-Mutagenic Effects: Rooibos tea is believed to contain substances that can help counteract the effects of mutagens, which are agents that can cause genetic mutations in cells.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Rooibos tea is high in antioxidants like aspalathin and quercetin, which help combat oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
If you’re stuck for inspiration when brewing your Rooibos tea then head on over to our Tea Journal for some awesome recipes! Enjoy over ice or piping hot with a variety of epic flavour combinations!
A Calming Cup of Chamomile Tea
Take a seat and relax with a cup of calming Chamomile tea! This herbal tea is an absolute must-have in any tea collection due to its unbelievable powers as an herbal remedy and its uses outside of the teacup!
Over in our Tea Journal, we have loads of recipes for a variety of interesting uses for Chamomile tea! Jump into the new year with natural hair care, skin care, tea loaves and a mug of Chamomile comfort!
Why Enjoy Chamomile Tea?
With so many fantastic uses for Chamomile tea, it may seem like a no-brainer whether you should pick this tea for your collection or not!
However, if you still need some persuading, here are some of the major benefits of consuming Chamomile for your summer tea!
- Natural Sleep Aid: Chamomile tea is renowned for its calming and sedative properties, making it an excellent choice for those seeking a restful and peaceful night's sleep. It contains compounds that promote relaxation and help combat insomnia.
- Digestive Soother: Chamomile tea is widely used as a remedy for various digestive issues, including indigestion, bloating, and stomach cramps. Its anti-spasmodic properties can help soothe the digestive tract and alleviate discomfort.
- Stress and Anxiety Relief: The calming effects of chamomile tea make it a natural remedy for reducing stress and anxiety. It contains compounds that may have a relaxing effect on the mind, promoting mental well-being and relaxation.
- Immune System Support: Regular consumption of chamomile tea can contribute to a stronger immune system. It contains antioxidants and antimicrobial properties that may help the body fight off infections and maintain overall immune health.
- Anti-Inflammatory Benefits: Chamomile tea possesses anti-inflammatory properties, which can aid in reducing inflammation in the body. This property is beneficial for various conditions and contributes to overall body wellness.
Enjoy Chamomile tea warm or over ice for a refreshing summer tea you’ll find yourself reaching for every time you need to chill out.
Jump into Jilungin Tea
Wildcrafted by local Aboriginal communities, our blend of Jilungin tea is the perfect addition to any tea collection. If you enjoy Australian teas, then Jilungin is an excellent choice for inducing sleep and promoting overall health and well-being.
Once again, this is a tea that can be enjoyed over ice for a summer tea or warm for a winter hug in a mug!
Jilungin As Alternative Medicine
Used as an herbal remedy by Indigenous Australians, Jilungin tea is a great choice for those of us who stock our tea collection with practical herbal remedies! Let’s check out some of the benefits of Jilungin tea!
- Sleep Aid: Jilungin tea has a history of use by Indigenous Australians as a sleep aid for both adults and overactive children. Its properties are believed to promote relaxation and aid in achieving restful sleep.
- High Antioxidant Content: Jilungin tea is known for its high antioxidant levels, potentially surpassing those found in Green Tea. Antioxidants help combat oxidative stress and contribute to overall health.
- Tea-Grade Cut Jilungin: Processing Jilungin into tea-grade cut leaves increases the surface area, aiding in the extraction of phenolic compounds when infused in hot water. This may enhance its potential health benefits compared to using whole leaves.
- Potent Sleeping Effects: Ongoing studies are being conducted to understand the specific components and mechanisms behind Jilungin's potent sleeping effects. Researchers are investigating the compounds responsible for its sleep-inducing properties.
Explore our Tea Journal article on the fascinating wonders of Native Australian teas!
Go For Green Tea First Harvest
A slightly sweeter version of regular Green Tea, Green Tea First Harvest has elevated amounts of amino acids, Methylxanthine and theanine, making it a perfect alternative for those of us who are not big fans of the usual Green Tea blends!
Why You Should Go For Green Tea First Harvest
As far as summer tea collections go, Green Tea First Harvest is a must-have! If you’re getting bikini body ready, then add a blend of green tea to your shopping list to help aid in weight loss! Let’s look at the benefits of Green Tea First Harvest!
- Weight Loss Aid: Green Tea is often associated with weight management due to its high concentration of catechins, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which may boost metabolism and help in burning fat.
- Boosts General Well-being: Regular consumption of Green Tea has been linked to improved overall health. Its antioxidant properties contribute to reducing oxidative stress in the body, potentially promoting general well-being.
- Support Against Common Colds: Green Tea contains compounds like polyphenols and catechins that possess antimicrobial properties. These compounds might help in fighting off viruses and bacteria, potentially reducing the risk of common colds and certain diseases.
- Antioxidant-Rich Properties: Green Tea is abundant in antioxidants, such as polyphenols and flavonoids, which can neutralize free radicals in the body. This antioxidative effect can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases by protecting cells from damage.
- Heart Health Benefits: Studies suggest that Green Tea consumption may contribute to improving cardiovascular health by lowering LDL cholesterol levels and reducing the risk of heart diseases.
So, enjoy a tasty cup of tea and glorious health benefits with this herbal wonder!
Do You Like Pina Colada Tea?
Or do you prefer being caught in the rain? For summer, sipping Pina Colada Tea brings a tropical vibe to your cup that will help you welcome in the new year with a much-needed dose of positivity! Enjoy over ice, or add a shot of vodka for a cheeky way to celebrate with friends and family!
Pina Colada Fruit Tea Mocktail
- 4 cups of water
- 6-8 teaspoons of Pina Colada Fruit Tea
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey or sweetener of choice (optional)
- Pineapple slices and shredded coconut for garnish (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Boil 4 cups of water and steep the Pina Colada Fruit Tea in the hot water for about 5-7 minutes. Strain the tea leaves and let the tea cool to room temperature.
- Once the tea has cooled, pour it into a pitcher and add pineapple juice, coconut milk, and honey or sweetener if desired. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Fill serving glasses with ice cubes and pour the Pina Colada Fruit Tea mixture over the ice.
- Garnish each glass with a slice of fresh pineapple and a sprinkle of shredded coconut for that tropical touch.
- Stir gently before drinking to ensure all the flavours are well-mixed.
- Enjoy your refreshing and delicious Pina Colada Fruit Tea Mocktail!
Whip up a punch bowl of this cheeky treat for a New Year's party, or add a little alcohol for a spiked tea treat!
Try Tasty Orange Fusion Tea
Add a cheeky twist of citrus to your caddy with a blend of Orange Fusion Green Tea! TeaLife stocks a black tea or a green tea variety, depending on your preferences, but we are currently loving the Orange Fusion Green Tea as a morning-after hangover cure! Tangy, sweet, a perfect summer treat!
Orange Fusion Tea Citrus Cooler
- 5 grams (or 10 grams for a stronger flavour) of Orange Fusion Tea
- 1 litre of water
- Sliced oranges, lemons, and/or limes for garnish
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Boil water and let it cool slightly to around 80°C (175°F).
- In a heatproof pitcher or container, add 5 grams (or 10 grams for a stronger brew) of Orange Fusion Tea.
- Pour the slightly cooled water over the tea leaves into the pitcher.
- Let the tea steep for a few minutes (3-5 minutes) to infuse the flavours. Then, remove the tea leaves by straining or using a tea infuser.
- Place the pitcher in the refrigerator and let the Orange Fusion Tea steep overnight for a more robust and flavorful iced tea.
- The next day, when you're ready to serve, take the pitcher out of the fridge. Add ice cubes to serving glasses.
- Pour the chilled Orange Fusion Tea over the ice cubes in each glass.
- Garnish with slices of oranges, lemons, and/or limes. For an extra touch, add fresh mint leaves for a burst of fragrance.
- Stir gently to combine the flavours.
- Enjoy your refreshing Orange Fusion Tea Citrus Cooler on a hot summer day!
Pro tip: Prepare a massive pitcher before you attend a New Year’s party to enjoy the next day! Store in the fridge and serve over ice for a morning pick-me-up after a long night of partying!
Before you start adding to your basket, join the TeaLife Loyalty Club! Get $5 credit for signing up to our newsletter and $5 more for joining the club! Use your points to restock your tea box to welcome in 2024 with a bang!
Now you're armed with the inside info, and it's time to go shopping! Have a great New Year filled with tea, love and adventures! Here's to 2024!
Cleveland Clinic. (2022, February 16). 7 Benefits of Hibiscus Tea. Cleveland Clinic. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/benefits-of-hibiscus/
Elliot, B. (2017, August 18). 5 Ways Chamomile Tea Benefits Your Health. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/5-benefits-of-chamomile-tea#:~:text=Many%20people%20enjoy%20chamomile%20tea%20as%20a%20caffeine-free
Gunnars, K. (2018). 10 Proven Benefits of Green Tea. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-green-tea
https://www.facebook.com/verywell. (2023, May 19). What Is Jiaogulan? Verywell Health. https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-lowdown-on-jiaogulan-88940
Richter, A. (2023, March 20). 5 Health Benefits of Rooibos Tea (Plus Side Effects). Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/rooibos-tea-benefits